The Australian Government’s Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development has published the draft report of its 2012 Review of the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport.
This draft report follows the publishing in 2013 of the Transport Standards review Issues Paper and a period of consultation that resulted in 95 submissions.
Public submissions on the draft report have been invited.
The seven recommendations in the draft report are:
- Establish a national framework for reporting on compliance by 30 June 2016
- Modernise the Transport Standards in consultation with stakeholders by 30 June 2016
- Further consideration of the complaints process by the Australian Government
- Develop guidelines for whole-of-journey accessibility
- Develop and implement a national motorised mobility aid labelling scheme
- Develop national wheelchair accessible taxi compliance milestones and response times by 20 June 2016
- Review of the Disability Access Facilitation Plan (in consultation with the Aviation Access Forum) by 30 June 2015.
MS Australia is interested to hear the views of the MS community on the draft report and on your experiences with public and other transport providers more generally, such as costs, accessibility and provision of transport information.
The draft Report can be found at: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/disabilities/review/2012.aspx
(warning: it’s 167 pages long so you might not want to print it!)
Further details regarding the Review process, Terms of Reference, the 2013 issues Paper, and a link to the Public Submissions made in 2013 can also be found at: http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/disabilities/review/2012.aspx
The current Standards can be accessed at: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Series/F2005B01059
You can contribute to this Review in one of two ways:
- Send your personal story, or a more formal submission if you prefer, directly to the Department, by 14 July 2014 at: DisabilitiesTransportAccessSecretariat@infrastructure.gov.au
Or post to:
Disabilities Transport Access Secretariat
Road Safety and Transport Access Branch
Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development
GPO Box 594, Canberra, ACT 2601
- Send your personal story to MS Australia, by 27 June 2014, and we will use it to inform our submission. We may use your story in full or quotes from it, but we will identify you only by your first name and location, e.g. Sarah, Adelaide.
Send your story to us at MSA by email to Andrew.Giles@msaustralia.org.au
Or post to:
Andrew Giles, Policy Officer
54 Railway Parade
Blackburn Vic 3130