As the national peak body for people living with MS in Australia, we campaign about important issues on behalf of our community by working closely with our state societies, national advocates and MS Research Australia, to ensure our submissions and work are based on the latest evidence.
We advocate across all stakeholders, governments and communities on behalf of our state and territory member organisations to represent people who are diagnosed with the disease, their carers and the broader MS community.
Our activities span:
- Research - as a support to and in collaboration with our subsidiary organisation, MS Research Australia, advancing research into the cause, prevention and a cure for multiple sclerosis
- Advocacy and Awareness – as a thought leader, offering expertise on MS-related issues at a national level and through submissions, conferences, media and other forums
- Communication and Information – we share resources, updates and news for people living with MS, through our various communication platforms
- Support for our Member organisations – working with and representing them, to meet the needs of people affected with MS, their families and carers
- International Collaboration – as a member of the Multiple Sclerosis International Federation (MSIF) and other leading global bodies, to advance the interests of people affected by MS and to support MS organisations in the Asia Pacific and other regions.
Lobbying, advocacy and communications
A key part of our role is to raise awareness and lobby for key and topical issues for people with MS. Over time this has included advocating for more affordable and accessible treatments, the protection of legal rights for people with MS in legislation and meeting with politicians to raise awareness about pertinent issues.