World MS Day brings the global MS community together on 30 May to share stories, raise awareness and campaign with everyone affected by multiple sclerosis (MS).
First initiated by the MS International Federation (MSIF) and its members in 2009, World MS Day is a day to celebrate global solidarity and hope for the future.
Word MS Day 2021’s theme is ‘connections’. This is the global theme for three years (2020 – 2022), and aims to build community connection, self-connection and connections to quality care.
MS Australia is contributing to this significant international exploration of relationships, connections and the impacts of social isolation and loneliness for people living with MS.
The MS Connections campaign challenges social barriers that leave people affected by MS feeling lonely and socially isolated.
The campaign tagline is ‘I Connect, We Connect’ and the campaign hashtag is #MSConnections.
World MS Day is an opportunity to advocate for better services, celebrate support networks and champion self-care.The World MS Day 2020-2022 theme is ‘Connections’ and campaign is ‘MS Connections’!
MS Connections Toolkit
To support World MS Day, MSIF have created a free MS Connections toolkit, to bring positive change to the lives of more than 2.8 million people around the world.
The MS Connections toolkit includes:
- Tune in for MS Graphics
- Countdown Graphics
- Social Media Shareables
- Campaign Essentials
- Campaign Posters
- Email Signatures
- MS Connections Handbook
- MS Connections Hashtag
- MS Connections Healthcare Industry Guidelines
- World MS Day Logos
MS Connections – How YOU can celebrate World MS Day
MS Connections is a flexible, wide-ranging theme. Whether you’re individual or an organisation, you can choose to focus on a variety of angles when celebrating World MS Day, including:
- Challenging social barriers and stigma that can leave people affected by MS feeling lonely and isolated
- Building communities that support and nurture people affected by MS
- Promoting self-care and healthy living with MS
- Lobbying decision makers for better services and effective treatment for people with MS
- Connecting people affected by MS to MS research.
Wondering how you can get involved in the MS Connections Campaign?
There are many ways to celebrate World MS Day and come together to form MS Connections. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Organise a virtual event, activity or fundraiser for the MS Connections campaign
- Make headlines: get World MS Day covered in you local or nations news
- Advocate for change by using the #MSConnections campaign to raise awareness for better services and support
- Social media: share the toolkit to start a conversation about MS Connections and remember to use the #MSConnections and #WorldMSDay hashtags to feature on the social media wall.
- Participate in one of the many state/territory MS organisation events being held around the country in the lead up and on World MS Day. Activities and event details can be found via the links below or their respective social media channels:
I Connect, We Connect
For an insight into MS Connections stories from across the world, this animation provides a snapshot into the lived experiences of MS, loneliness and connections.
As part of the global working group for MSIF, we look forward to sharing further details on World MS Day and how you or your organisation can get involved in the MS Connections campaign.